Relationship between information and safety.
The offshore oilfield is a dangerous place. If you were responsible for safety there, what would you look at?
The new director of the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement looks at
- collection and sophisticated analysis of near-miss (more accurately near-hit) data for trends and gaps
- need to do more than inspections
- recruit top-notch talent
- foster the safety culture
- being transparent
- another (confidential) reporting system for employees
- maintenance data
- learning from incidents that do occur
- tracking locations
- monitoring plan implementation
How would you prioritize your activities? What information would you collect, monitor, and analyze? What are the key metrics?
“Safety chief delves into the data,” Houston Chronicle, November 17, 2013 A3 http://bit.ly/1dJ0VKR